Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Post-Nap

AC takes a nap everyday. It is not negotiable. Another non-negotiable issue is the length of her nap. She must stay in bed for at least an hour. It is wonderful if she sleeps for the entirety of the time (which she has only failed to do 2-3 times in the last 18 months). If her nap is short, however, she must spend at least 60 minutes inside that lovely little white bed of hers. I made this decision when AC was about 7 months old. It was imperative that I have at least 1 hour to myself during the day. And besides, she needed to learn to sleep for longer periods of time. It didn't take long for her to realize that I wasn't coming to get her just because she woke up. It also didn't take long for her naps to get longer and longer. Today an average nap is about 1 hour and 45 minutes. She has been known to sleep for up to 3 hours about 2 a month. It's rare but it is wonderful.

I learned another important thing about naps when AC was about 7 months old. I do not have to run to her as soon as she wakes up. There is nothing wrong with letting her spend some time alone in her bed after she wakes. I mean, what adult likes to jump out of bed as soon as her eyes pop open? No one. So I decided that after every nap, I would wait at least 10 minutes before going to get her. This has been a fantastic decision. Here's why: Many times she isn't really awake. She is just moving or fussing and isn't ready to wake up completely. These 10 minutes give her enough time to go back to sleep. I can't tell you how many times she has woken up, I've waited 10 minutes, and she has gone back to sleep for another hour or more. These extra minutes also give her time to fully wake up. I just so happened to capture an example of "fully waking up" from today. Enjoy!

FYI: I'm finding these growing curls to be quite unmanageable. You will definitely notice. Oh, and the first 10 seconds or so are black. I was filming outside her bedroom door.


And just so you know...she will take a nap every day until she goes to kindergarten! Ha! A mama can dream...

3 comments:

  1. AC How did you know that is my favorite song!! Good job lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I feel ya on the naps. I would love to still have Blake in a crib sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that is absolutely precious! I just love that little voice. We have the same rule with naps - Kate is 4 and still has to be in her room for 'rest' time for at least an hour - sometimes she naps sometimes she just reads, but 1:00 is quiet time for all of us!

    ReplyDelete