Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our Little Stretch of Sand

As I'm sure you've heard, Hurricane Earl is swirling and whirling out there in the ocean. The latest is that he is headed for the islands off the coast of North Carolina. I'm praying for those whose homes and businesses might be destroyed by him, yet I'm so glad he isn't coming to south Florida. I would be thrilled if we never see a hurricane the entire time we're here (fingers, toes, and legs crossed)!! However, I don't have any problem with the clouds Earl has been slinging our way. These clouds make for lovely weather in the morning. It is so lovely that AC and I decided to take a walk and enjoy it. While we were out, I decided to take some pictures so that you could see how 'our little stretch of the sand' looks. These pictures will look familiar to you all that have been here.
Our house. The front door is on the left, behind the mini palm trees.
Our neighborhood. We live in a golf community which has about 12 neighborhoods inside.
Palms trees line the streets. It's one of my favorite things about our community.
Palm trees shed their 'bark'. It hangs and flaps in the wind. On a windy night you can hear it banging against the trunk of the palm. Eventually it will fall off and lie in the road. People are always swerving in their cars to keep from running over it. You get roadkill in KY and OH, we get palm bark in FL!!!
Here is a piece that has recently fallen off.

A picture of the golf course.




Ducks, birds, pelicans, oh my! There are soooo many birds around here. They just wander aimlessly around the neighborhood. It's common to have to stop the car and wait for one of the little boogers to cross the street.


A little girl was really excited to see these birdies!



These are the hurricane shutters that are on all the windows. These are the accordion style shutters that are attached to your house. You pull them closed and lock them when a storm is coming. There are many different types of shutters, but these are the easiest. Just thought I would show you how we will prepare if Earl happens to change his mind and head on over this way.

So, if you want to come visit in the next 14 days, this is where you will find us. On September 15th (if everything goes smoothly), we are MOVING!!! No, not back to KY. I know, I know...we miss you more than you miss us, I promise. We are actually moving just about 15 miles north and are really, really excited! I'll post some pictures as soon as we get settled! We love you and miss you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment